We understand..This is the first time you have to get glasses. We're going to help you out!
Sph..Cyl..looks foreign to me..we'll tell you what it means. It's not that bad.
Here at Smart Vision Labs we want to make sure you have access to your prescription and if you have questions..you can get answers..It's only Fair..right?
So here's an Eye glass Prescription..let's take a look.
- The top row indicates- Prescribing Doctors Name (Nevada Doctor, MD) and License Number
- As we look down we are able to locate the patients full name and date of the Smart Vision Exam
- On the right side of the prescription, you will be able to see that this Rx (another way of saying prescription) is valid for TWO YEARS. This means you can go purchase glasses ANYWHERE until 2018.
That's pretty awesome!
- On the left side, BELOW the patients name, is the "meat and potatoes" of the Rx. Pay attention- it's about to GET REAL!
We'll read the Prescription from starting from the Left to Right.
- OD (Oculus Dexter) Latin for Right Eye.
- SPH- SPHERE-This indicates the amount of lens power prescribed to correct nearsightedness or farsightedness. If the number appearing under this heading has a minus sign (–), you are nearsighted; if the number has a plus sign (+) or is not preceded by a plus sign or a minus sign, you are farsighted.
- CYL-CYLINDER-This indicates the amount of lens power for astigmatism. If nothing appears in this column, either you have no astigmatism, or your astigmatism is so slight that it is not really necessary to correct it with your eyeglass lenses.
- AXIS-Defined with a number from 1 to 180. Determines the lens meridian that contains no cylinder power to correct astigmatism. SOoo essentially..If an eyeglass prescription includes cylinder power, it also must include an axis value. Got it?
- PRISM- You will NOT see PRISM on SMART VISION LAB PRESCRIPTIONS-The Smart Vision Exam does not test for Prism. FYI- It is used to prescribe to compensate for eye alignment problems.
Back to the Left Side..
- OS- (Oculus Sinister) a little more Latin..for Left Eye
- ADD-This is the added magnifying power applied to the bottom part of multifocal lenses to correct presbyopia. (like progressives)The number appearing in this section of the prescription is always a "plus" power, even if it is not preceded by a plus sign. Generally, it will range from +0.75 to +3.00 D and will be the same power for both eyes.
See you made it..And I told you..it wasn't THAT BAD!
if you have any other questions or concerns, contact Customer Success at: email@example.com